Molecular Genetics: Transcription & Translation
Virtual Cell Biology Classroom of Science Prof Online
Genetic Transcription & Translation Lecture Materials
are the Genetic Transcription & Translation Lecture materials of the Virtual Cell
Biology Classroom. The resources below are used to supplement an actual
college cell biology course.
You have free access to a large collection of materials used in a college-level introductory Cell Biology Course. The Virtual Cell Biology Classroom provides a wide range of free educational resources including Power Point Lectures, Study Guides, Review Questions and Practice Test Questions.
Page last updated 12/2013
- What nucleic acid base is used in the construction of RNA that is not utilized in DNA molecules? What nucleic acid based is not used in RNA molecules that is used in the construction of DNA?
- How is transcription similar to replication? How is it different?
- Understand how protein molecules are made through the process of translation.
- What types of RNA are involved in translation and what are their roles?
- What is the ‘triple code’? What is its role in the structure of proteins build through translation?
- What is a codon? What is an anti-codon?
Versions of Genetic Transcription Translation PPT:
NEW PowerPoint FORMAT! This fall (2013) the PowerPoint lecture format for the Virtual Microbiology Classroom is being updated to eliminate most of the fill-in-the-blanks and add more critical thinking questions and animated lessons. See the Virtual Cell Biology Instructor's Corner for all PPT lecture formats.
The best way for students to print out the PowerPoint Show is to download the PDF version. Select Print, and, when the Print screen comes up, go to the Print Handling options. Under Page Scaling, select "Multiple pages per sheet", Under Pages per sheet, select "2". That uses up less paper, placing two slides on each page.
GENETIC TRANSCRIPTION & TRANSLATION HOMEWORK
Word document of Transcription / Translation assignment given to students at the end of lecture. This tool helps the students review the main messages of the lecture while allowing the instructor to assess the class' understanding of the material.
Here is what you need to read, in addition to the PowerPoint, to master this topic. Check Moodle for additional readings.
PRACTICE TEST & REVIEW QUESTIONS
These multiple-chouce / matching practice test questions and essay review questions are designed to help you better understand the material from this lecture.
MORE GENETIC TRANSCRIPTION & TRANSLATION
Anyone taking, teaching or interested in
biology may find these materials helpful and is welcome to use them.
The Molecular Genetics: Transcription & Translation Lecture materials include:
- a list of learning objectives
- links to additional educational resources
A protein being synthesized at the ribosome, based on the instructions in mRNA.
- Bio Rad GTCA Song musical advertisement for SsoFast™. Also useful teaching enzymes.