Transcription & Translation
from Science Prof Online
Gene Expression & Epigenetics Lecture Materials
are the Genetic Transcription & Translation Lecture materials of the Virtual Cell
Biology Classroom. The resources below are used to supplement an actual
college cell biology course.
- What nucleic acid base is used in the construction of RNA that is not utilized in DNA molecules? What nucleic acid based is not used in RNA molecules that is used in the construction of DNA?
- How is transcription similar to replication? How is it different?
- Understand how protein molecules are made through the process of translation.
- What types of RNA are involved in translation and what are their roles?
- What is the ‘triple code’? What is its role in the structure of proteins build through translation?
- What is a codon? What is an anti-codon?
Printing: The best way for students to print out the PowerPoint Show is to download the PDF version. Select Print, and, when the Print screen comes up, go to the Print Handling options. Under Page Scaling, select "Multiple pages per sheet", Under Pages per sheet, select "2". That uses up less paper, placing two slides on each page.
GENETIC TRANSCRIPTION & TRANSLATION HOMEWORK ASSIGNMENTS
- Gene Expression: Transcription & Translation Assignment given to students at the end of lecture. This tool helps the students review the main messages of the lecture while allowing the instructor to assess the class' understanding of the material.
- Inheritance [Radiolab Homework Assignment] Exercise based on the Radiolab podcast "Inheritance,"a genetics episode presenting "stories of nature and nurture slamming into each other and shaping our biological blueprint.
The Molecular Genetics: Transcription & Translation Lecture materials include:
- list of learning objectives
- practice test & review questions
A protein being synthesized at the ribosome, based on the instructions in mRNA.
Page last updated 10/2015
The SPO website is best viewed in MIcrosoft Explorer, Google Chrome or Apple Safari.
Science Prof Online
WHICH GENETIC TRAITS DO YOU HAVE?
Here is what you need to read, in addition to the PowerPoint, to master this topic. Check Moodle for additional readings.
PRACTICE TEST & REVIEW QUESTIONS
These multiple-chouce / matching practice test questions and essay review questions are designed to help students better understand the material from this lecture.
MORE GENETIC TRANSCRIPTION & TRANSLATION