Viruses: Meet the Microbes
Virtual Microbiology Classroom of Science Prof Online
These multiple choice and true/false questions are designed to help students practice and test their understanding of this topic.
1. Viruses have one of four different basic types genomes. For each virus described in this lecture, note its genome type and whether it is enveloped or non-enveloped.
Viruses: Meet the Microbes Review Questions
2. What is the difference between an enveloped and non-enveloped
3. List and describe the different types of herpes viruses.
4.What does it mean that HIV (Human-immunodeficiency-virus) is a retrovirus?
These are review questions from the Virtual Microbiology Classroom (8-week & 16-week), designed to help students better understand the history of microbiology. They are based on materials that can be found on the Viruses: Meet the Microbes Main Page.
You have free access to a large collection of materials used in a college-level introductory microbiology course. The Virtual Microbiology Classroom provides a wide range of free educational resources including PowerPoint Lectures, Study Guides, Review Questions and Practice Test Questions.
6. Describe a scenario of how you might become infected with the common cold, explaining how and where virus got into your body, where it is replicating in your cells, and how your newly manufactured cold viruses can might be transmitted to someone else.
7. What is HPV, and what is its relationship with cancer?
8. What does it mean for a virus to be latent?
9. What is a prophage? Which type of bacteriophage life cycle involve a prophage? Explain.
10. Explain the differences between modified live and killed virus vaccines?