Cell Cycle: Meiosis
Virtual Cell Biology Classroom of Science Prof Online
Cell Cycle: Meiosis Review Questions
1. How are traits of parents (such as eye color) transmitted to their offspring?
2. In sexually reproducing organisms, how similar are the offspring to the parents? Explain.
3. How does the karyotype of a human male differ from that of a human female?
4. Explain how the alternation of meiosis and fertilization in the life cycles of sexually reproducing organisms maintains the normal chromosome count for that organism.
5. Dog sperm contain 39 chromosomes. What is the haploid and diploid numbers for dogs?
6. Explain how the chromosomes in a cell at metaphase of mitosis are similar to and different from the chromosomes in a cell at metaphase of meiosis II?
7. Is is possible to tell what type of cell division has just taken place by observing the chromosome number (2n or n) of the resulting cells? Explain.
8. For both mitosis and meiosis, describe where and when they occur and what their purpose is in the human life cycle.
9. Name and describe two processes that occur during meiosis which ensure that no two gametes of an individual will be genetically identical.
Page last updated: 9/2012
These multiple choice and true/false questions are designed to help students practice and test their understanding of Meiosis.
You have free access to a large collection of materials used in a college-level introductory Cell Biology Course. The Virtual Cell Biology Classroom provides a wide range of free educational resources including Power Point Lectures, Study Guides, Review Questions and Practice Test Questions.
SPO is a FREE science education website. Donations are key in helping us provide this resource with fewer ads.
(This donation link uses PayPal on a secure connection.)