a. ionic, covalent b. ionic, hydrogen c. covalent, hydrogen
d. hydrogen, covalent e. cohesive, ironic
3. If a substance is composed of two or more different elements, it is considered... (choose the BEST answer)
a. a compound b. a monomer c. a molecule d. an atom
4. If the symbol for a chemical element contains two letters, like the “Na” of sodium, we know that:
a. It is a very large atom.
b. It is the most common atom that begins with the letter N.
c. It is a very small atom.
d. It is not the most common element to begin with the letter N.
5. If an atom or compound loses and electron in a chemical reaction, it has been:
a. oxidized b. reduced c. carbonized d. synthesized
6. A negatively charged ion is an anion.
a. True b. False
7. A solution that is at a pH of 8 ______ than a solution with a pH of 1.
a. has fewer hydrogen ions
b. has more hydrogen ions
c has an equal number of hydrogen ions
d. is less concentrated
8. Which number would most closely represent the pH of lemon juice?
a.2 b. 4 c. 6 d. 10 e. 14
9. Hydrolysis is a reaction in which the removal of a water molecule (2 hydrogen atoms and 1 oxygen atom) from two separate molecules results in one larger molecule.
10. A salt is:
a. A compound that dissociates in water and releases hydrogen ions (H+).
b. An atom that dissociates in water and forms cations and anions.
c. A compound that dissociates in water and releases hydroxyl ions (OH-).
d. A compound that dissociates in water and produces cations or anions other then H+ or OH-.
Click here for more Inorganic Chemistry practice test questions.