Virtual Cell Biology Classroom of Science Prof Online
Inorganic Chemistry Basics Lecture Materials
These are the Inorganic Chemistry Lecture materials of the Virtual Cell Biology Classroom. The resources below are used to supplement an actual college cell biology course. Anyone taking, teaching or interested in biology may find these materials helpful and is welcome to use them.
The Inorganic Chemistry Lecture materials include:
- a list of learning objectives
- links to additional educational resources
- Understand how atoms, molecules and compounds are represented using chemical symbols & formulas.
- Describe the subatomic parts of an atom.
- What are valence electrons and why are they important?
- Understand the three different types of bonds that we discussed: ionic, covalent and hydrogen.
- Understand the different types of basic reaction types: synthesis (such as dehydration reaction), decomposition (such as hydrolysis reaction), and exchange.
- What is a redox reaction? What does it mean for something to be oxidized? Reduced?
- What is an ion and how does it relate to acids, bases and salts?
- Compare and contrast acids bases and salts.
- Know enough about the pH scale to understand which numbers represent acidic, neutral and basic substances.
Versions of Inorganic Chemistry PPT:
All of the lecture PowerPoints used in the Virtual Cell Biology Classroom are fill-in-the-blank format to encourage students to pay attention and follow along during the presentation.
The best way for students to print out the PowerPoint Show is to download the PDF version. Select Print, and, when the Print screen comes up, go to the Print Handling options. Under Page Scaling, select "Multiple pages per sheet", Under Pages per sheet, select "2". That uses up less paper, placing two slides on each page.
Word document of a single essay question students complete at the end of the lecture. This tool helps the students review the main messages of the lecture while allowing the instructor to assess the class' understanding of the material.
Here is what you need to read, in addition to the PowerPoint, to master this topic. Check Moodle for additional readings.
PRACTICE TEST & REVIEW QUESTIONS
These multiple-choice / matching practice test questions and essay review questions are designed to help you better understand inorganic chemistry.
MORE INORGANIC CHEMISTRY RESOURCES
You have free access to a large collection of materials used in a college-level introductory Cell Biology Course. The Virtual Cell Biology Classroom provides a wide range of free educational resources including Power Point Lectures, Study Guides, Review Questions and Practice Test Questions.
- The Element Song - Tom Lehrer
> sung by Warren Philips
- Chemistry 101 TextVook (Fun animated textbook.)
- The Elements: A Visual Exploration - cool interactive periodic table app
- Periodic Table of Elements - simple iPad app of period table
- Molecules app - 3-D models of molecules you can manipulate by touch