Atomic Theory & Periodic Table
from Science Prof Online
Atomic Theory & Periodic Table Lecture Materials
These are the Atomic Theory & periodic Table Lecture materials of the Virtual Cell Biology Classroom. The resources below are used to supplement an actual college cell biology course.
- Understand how atoms, molecules and compounds are represented using chemical symbols & formulas.
- Describe the subatomic parts of an atom.
- Define "atomic number", "atomic mass" & "mass number."
- What are isotopes. How does the "atomic mass" relate to isotopes?
- What makes an isotope radioactive? What does "radioactive decay" mean?
- What do the "groups" on the periodic table relate to?
- What do the "periods" on a periodic table relate to?
- What are the maximum number of electrons that an atom can have in its inner orbital?
- What are valence electrons and why are they important?
- What is the maximum number of electrons that an atom can have in its valence shell?
- Be able to create a labeled electron shell diagram of any element in the first three periods, showing number of protons, neutrons and electrons in their proper orbitals.
Versions of Chemistry BasicsPPT:
Printing: The best way for students to print out the PowerPoint Show is to download the PDF version. Select Print, and, when the Print screen comes up, go to the Print Handling options. Under Page Scaling, select "Multiple pages per sheet", Under Pages per sheet, select "2". That uses up less paper, placing two slides on each page.
These lecture materials include:
- list of learning objectives
- practice test & review questions
MORE CHEMISTRY RESOURCES
- The Element Song - Tom Lehrer
PRACTICE TEST & REVIEW QUESTIONS
These multiple-choice / matching practice test questions and essay review questions are designed to help you better understand the basics of chemistry and the periodic table.
Click here for a printable, detailed periodic table.
Page last updated: 5/2016
You have free access to a large collection of materials used in a college-level introductory Cell Biology Course. The Virtual Cell Biology Classroom provides a wide range of free educational resources including Power Point Lectures, Study Guides, Review Questions and Practice Test Questions.
You have FREE access to a large collection of materials used in a college-level introductory biology course. The Virtual Biology Classroom provides a wide range of free educational resources including PowerPoint Lectures, Study Guides, Review Questions & Practice Test Questions.
SPO offers free PowerPoint lectures, sample test
questions, review questions and assignments on many different science topics.
Below are links to those that relate to chemistry: