Chemistry of Solutions
Virtual Cell Biology Classroom of Science Prof Online
Chemistry of Solutions Lecture Materials
These are the Chemistry of Solutions Lecture materials of the Virtual Cell Biology Classroom. The resources below are used to supplement an actual college cell biology course.
You have free access to a large collection of materials used in a college-level introductory Cell Biology Course. The Virtual Cell Biology Classroom provides a wide range of free educational resources including Power Point Lectures, Study Guides, Review Questions and Practice Test Questions.
Page last updated: 10/2015
The Chemistry of Solutions Lecture materials include:
- list of learning objectives
- practice test & review questions
- The Element Song - Tom Lehrer
The SPO website is best viewed in Microsoft Explorer, Google Chrome or Apple Safari.
- A solution is a combination of a solute and a solvent. Define solute, solvent and solubility.
- Water has some properties that make it unique. Explain what is so special about water, chemically, with respect to its bonding behavior and physical properties?
- Is the covalent bond that holds a water molecule together polar or non-polar? Explain.
- Define, and understand the difference between cohesion and adhesion.
- Define hydrophilic and hydrophobic.
- Explain the "like dissolves like" rule and give a polar solubility and non-polar solubility example.
Need Help with Chemistry?
SPO offers free PowerPoint lectures, sample test
questions, review questions and assignments on many different science topics.
Below are links to those that relate to chemistry:
LECTURE POWER POINTS
Versions of Inorganic Chemistry PPT:
Printing: The best way for students to print out the PowerPoint Show is to download the PDF version. Select Print, and, when the Print screen comes up, go to the Print Handling options. Under Page Scaling, select "Multiple pages per sheet", Under Pages per sheet, select "2". That uses up less paper, placing two slides on each page.
Word document of an essay question students complete at the end of the lecture. This tool helps the students review the main messages of the lecture while allowing the instructor to assess the class' understanding of the material.
PRACTICE TEST & REVIEW QUESTIONS
These multiple-choice / matching practice test questions and essay review questions are designed to help you better understand inorganic chemistry.
MORE CHEMISTRY RESOURCES