Bacterial Cell Wall & Differential Staining
Virtual Microbiology Classroom of Science Prof Online
Bacterial Cell Wall Review Questions
These multiple choice and true/false questions are designed to help students practice and test their understanding of this topic.
2. Going through each step of the Gram stain, describe why Gram positive bacteria stain purple and Gram negative bacterial stain pink.
3. The Gram-negative cell wall contain an endotoxin. Which part of the Gram-negative bacterial cell wall is an endotoxin, and what type of immune response does this toxin trigger? 4. Draw a detailed, labeled diagram of an acid-fast cell wall.
5. Going through each step of the acid-fast stain, describe why acid-fast bacteria, such as Mycobacteria, stain pink and nonacid-fast bacteria stain purple.
6. Which two genera of bacteria are acid-fast, and how does the characteristic of being acid fast benefit these bacteria? What negative effect does being acid-fast have on these bacteria?
7. In differential staining, the bacteria that retain the primary stain are positive for that test. Describe how this rule applies to the Gram stain and acid-fast stain.
Page last updated: 2/2016
You have free access to a large collection of materials used in a college-level introductory microbiology course. The Virtual Microbiology Classroom provides a wide range of free educational resources including PowerPoint Lectures, Study Guides, Review Questions and Practice Test Questions.
Gram stained bacterial smear.