Cell Cycle: Mitosis
Virtual Cell Biology Classroom of Science Prof Online
Cell Division: Mitosis Lecture Materials
are the Cell Cycle: Mitosis Lecture materials of the Virtual Cell
Biology Classroom. The resources below are used to supplement an actual
college cell biology course. Anyone taking, teaching or interested in
biology may find these materials helpful and is welcome to use them.
The Mitosis Lecture materials include:
- a list of learning objectives
- links to additional educational resources
- What is the relationship between replication and mitosis?
- What are the two main phases of the cell cycle?
- What are the stages of mitosis, and what happens at each phase?
- If DNA is condensed into chromosomes, is the cell in interphase or mitosis?
- If the DNA is not condensed, if it is in the form of chromatin, is the cell in interphase or mitosis?
- If a cell has a total of 6 chromosomes, how many chromosomes will each of its daughter cells have?
- What is cytokinesis and when does it occur?
- How does cytokinesis of a plant and animal cell differ?
- What are homologous chromosomes? What does a pair of unduplicated homologues look like?
- How do homologues and sister chromatids differ?
Versions of Mitosis PPT:
All of the lecture PowerPoints used in the Virtual Cell Biology Classroom are fill-in-the-blank format to encourage students to pay attention and follow along during the presentation.
The best way for students to print out the PowerPoint Show is to download the PDF version. Select Print, and, when the Print screen comes up, go to the Print Handling options. Under Page Scaling, select "Multiple pages per sheet", Under Pages per sheet, select "2". That uses up less paper, placing two slides on each page.
Word document of an in-class activity given to students at the end of lecture. This tool helps the students review the main messages of the lecture while allowing the instructor to assess the class' understanding of the material. There is also a helpful Photo Guide of the Mitosis Classroom Activity.
Here is what you need to read, in addition to the PowerPoint, to master this topic. Check Moodle for additional readings.
PRACTICE TEST & REVIEW QUESTIONS
These multiple choice / matching practice test questions and essay review questions designed to help you better understand the material from this lecture.
MORE MITOSIS LINKS
You have free access to a large collection of materials used in a college-level introductory Cell Biology Course. The Virtual Cell Biology Classroom provides a wide range of free educational resources including Power Point Lectures, Study Guides, Review Questions and Practice Test Questions.