Eukaryotes: Meet the Microbes
Virtual Microbiology Classroom of Science Prof Online
- Know which groups of microscopic eukaryotes cause disease in humans, and which do not.
- Know the different eukaryotic microorganisms that were presented in lecture, and any information about specific representative genera or species that was detailed, such as Giardia, Entamoeba histolytica, Blastomyces dermatitidis, Aspergillus fumigatus & Hookworms.
- Know, and be able to distinguish between, the four main categories of mycoses.
- How are fungal infections commonly transmitted, and how well do we understand their prevalence?
- What is the difference between true and opportunistic fungal pathogens. Be able to name the four true fungal pathogens.
- What are helminths? Why are these comparatively large microbes studied by microbiologists?
All Versions of Eukaryotic Microbe PPT:
Printing: The best way for students to print out the PowerPoint Show is to download the PDF version. Select Print, and, when the Print screen comes up, go to the Print Handling options. Under Page Scaling, select "Multiple pages per sheet", under Pages Per Sheet, select "2". That uses up less paper, placing two slides on each page.
The Eukaryotic Microbes lecture materials include:
- list of learning objectives
- practice test & review questions
- links to additional educational resources
As a puppy, our dog Lulu (a.k.a. Ninja Pisser and Dog-faced-monkey-butt) was diagnosed with the eukaryotic protozoan parasite Giardia. The vet ordered an ELISA test on a stool sample. Unlike a routine flotation stool check, in which parasite eggs and cysts to float to the top of a solution, the ELISA test looks for specific antigens (protein "nametags") of the Giardia organism. Giardiasis is typically treated over several days with the drug Metronidazole.
TV show, from Animal Planet, presenting case studies of people with parasitic infections. So interesting, you'll learn about parasitism without even trying!
Check out our FREE "Monsters Inside Me" Homework Assignments Part 1 & Part 2!
Page last updated: 2/2016
You have free access to a large collection of materials used in a college-level introductory microbiology course. The Virtual Microbiology Classroom provides a wide range of free educational resources including PowerPoint Lectures, Study Guides, Review Questions and Practice Test Questions.
"MONSTERS INSIDE ME" PARASITE HOMEWORK
Choose the homework version (Part 1 or Part 2) that you have been assigned. To complete the assignment, review the video clips and and Meet the Monsters pages. You will also need to visit the Adopt a Parasite Pet Shop.
Homework Assignment Documents:
Monsters Inside Me Video Clips:
Monsters Inside Me Meet the Monsters Pages:
Looks like the Monsters Inside Me website no longer offers the pages that had been linked below. To find out more about the parasites in this assignment (featured in the videos linked above), you can go to the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) or World Health Organization (WHO) websites.
- African Sleeping Sickness
PRACTICE TEST & REVIEW QUESTIONS
These multiple-choice / matching practice test questions and essay review questions are designed to help students better understand the material from this lecture.
MORE EUKARYOTIC MICROBES LINKS
- Play Pandemic 2 a video game of strategy, where you try to become a successful pandemic microbe and infect the world. My teen daughter recommends this one.
Eukaryotic Microbe Lecture Materials
are the Eukaryotes: Meet the Microbes Lecture Materials of the Virtual Microbiology Classrooms (8-week & 16 week). The resources below are used to supplement an actual
college microbiology course.