Virtual Microbiology Classroom of Science Prof Online
Microbial Genetics Lecture Materials
are the Microbial Genetics Lecture materials of the Virtual Microbiology Classroom. The resources below are used to supplement an actual
college microbiology course. Anyone taking, teaching or interested in
biology may find these materials helpful and is welcome to use them.
The Microbial Genetics Lecture materials include:
- a list of learning objectives
- additional required readings
- links to additional educational resources
- What is DNA made of? Know the structural components.
- Understand the process of replication. (Don’t let the brief sentence fool you; this is a lot of complex info. Make sure you understand it to the level that was presented to you in the lecture PPTs).
- What does semi-conservative replication mean?
- Understand the processes of transcription & translation. (Don’t let the brief sentence fool you; this is a lot of complex info. Make sure you understand it to the level that was presented to you in the lecture PPTs).
- What nucleic acid base is used in the construction of RNA that is not utilized in DNA molecules? What nucleic acid based is not used in RNA molecules that is used in the construction of DNA?
- How is transcription similar to replication? How is it different?
- What types of RNA are involved in translation and what are their roles?
- What is the ‘triple code’? What is its role in the structure of proteins built through translation?
- Specifically, what is a mutation?
- What is the difference between vertical and horizontal gene transfer?
- Compare and contrast the three types of horizontal gene transfer that we discussed in class: Transformation, Transduction and Conjugation.
- Know the microbes that we met in this lecture and their relevance to the topics discussed.
- Staphylococcus and gene expression
- Streptococcus pneumoniae and horizontal gene transfer
Versions of Microbial Genetics PPT:
All of the lecture PowerPoints used in the Virtual Cell Biology Classroom are fill-in-the-blank format to encourage students to pay attention and follow along during the presentation.
The best way for students to print out the PowerPoint Show is to download the PDF version. Select Print, and, when the Print screen comes up, go to the Print Handling options. Under Page Scaling, select "Multiple pages per sheet", Under Pages per sheet, select "2". That uses up less paper, placing two slides on each page.
This assignment will help you better understand the microbial genetics of vertical and horizontal gene transfer.
Here is what you need to read, in addition to the PowerPoint, to master this topic. Check Moodle & your textbook for additional readings.
PRACTICE TEST & REVIEW QUESTIONS
These multiple-choice / matching practice test questions and essay review questions are designed to help students better understand the material from this lecture.
MORE MICROBIAL GENETICS LINKS
You have free access to a large collection of materials used in a college-level introductory microbiology course. The Virtual Microbiology Classroom provides a wide range of free educational resources including PowerPoint Lectures, Study Guides, Review Questions and Practice Test Questions.
Page last updated: 3/2013
- Bio Rad GTCA Song musical advertisement for SsoFast™. Also useful teaching enzymes.