Microbial Growth Lecture Materials
are the Microbial Growth Lecture materials of the Virtual Microbiology Classroom. The resources below are used to supplement an actual
college microbiology course. Anyone taking, teaching or interested in
biology may find these materials helpful and is welcome to use them.
The Microbial Growth Lecture materials include:
- a list of learning objectives
- additional required readings
- links to additional educational resources
- Explain what “microbial growth” means.
- Know the 4 phases of the microbial growth curve.
- Understand how microorganisms are grouped based on their relationship with oxygen, temperature, pH & osmotic pressure.
- How does bacterial generation time relate to characteristics of disease? (Another “think” question.)
- Understand what it means for binary fission to result in exponential growth.
- Understand the different factors that affect bacterial growth and how they influence the speed of population growth. Know any terminology associated with these factors.
- Know the microbes that we met in this lecture and their relevance to the topics discussed.
- Mycobacterium tuberculosis and Generation time
- Mycobacterium leprae and Generation time
- Chlamydomonas nivalis and Temperature
- Listeria monocytogenes and Temperature
- Helicobacter pylori: pH & Oxygen
- Campylobacter jejuni and Oxygen
- Vibrio cholorae and pH
- Staphylococcus epidermidis and Osmotic Pressure
Versions of Microbial Growth PPT:
All of the lecture PowerPoints used in the Virtual Cell Biology Classroom are fill-in-the-blank format to encourage students to pay attention and follow along during the presentation.
The best way for students to print out the PowerPoint Show is to download the PDF version. Select Print, and, when the Print screen comes up, go to the Print Handling options. Under Page Scaling, select "Multiple pages per sheet", Under Pages per sheet, select "2". That uses up less paper, placing two slides on each page.
Here is what you need to read, in addition to the PowerPoint, to master this topic. Check Moodle & your textbook for additional readings.
PRACTICE TEST & REVIEW QUESTIONS
These multiple-choice / matching practice test questions and essay review questions are designed to help you better understand the material from this lecture.
MICROBIAL METABOLISM & GROWTH IMAGES
The photographs linked here directly relate to this lecture material and are designed to help you review and study while outside of the laboratory.
MORE MICROBIAL GROWTH LINKS
- “Osmosis Jones” movie trailer. If you haven’t seen this yet, you must watch it immediately! It’s awesome!