2. Microorganisms that can be found thriving in icy-cold climates would be considered...
3. If you carried out an experiment growing different types of microorganisms in liquid culture, which type of organism would you find congregated just a little below the liquid's surface?
a. obligate aerobes
b. obligate anaerobes
d. aerotolerant bacteria
4. Which microbe would you most likely find in large numbers in an extremely hypertonic salty environment?
d. E. coli
5. If I start with one bacterium (generation 0), how many bacteria would I have by generation 4 produced by binary fission?
a. 2 b. 4 c. 8 d. 16 e. 32
6. Which phase in a population growth curve is associated with no increase or decrease in population?
a. lag phase
b. logarithmic phase
c. stationary phase
d. stop phase
e. death phase
The following questions, from the Virtual Microbiology Classrooms (8-week & 16-week), are designed to help students better understand this topic. All questions are based on material that can be found on the Microbial Growth Main Page.