Virtual Microbiology Classroom of Science Prof Online
Virus Structure Lecture Materials
are the lecture materials in the structure of viruses, from the Virtual Microbiology Classroom. The resources below are used to supplement an actual
college microbiology course. Anyone taking, teaching or interested in
microbiology may find these materials helpful and is welcome to use them.
The Virus Structure Lecture materials include:
- a list of learning objectives
- additional required readings
- links to additional educational materials
- Understand what viruses are and how they differ from living organisms.
- Be able to describe the four types of genetic material that viruses can be made of.
- Understand the difference between an enveloped and non-enveloped virus.
- What are the three main structural elements that viruses can be made of. Which of these structural elements is not present in all viruses?
- Describe the different shapes of viruses.
All of the lecture PowerPoints used in the Virtual Cell Biology Classroom are fill-in-the-blank format to encourage students to pay attention and follow along during the presentation.
The best way for students to print out the PowerPoint Show is to download the PDF version. Select Print, and, when the Print screen comes up, go to the Print Handling options. Under Page Scaling, select "Multiple pages per sheet", Under Pages per sheet, select "2". That uses up less paper, placing two slides on each page.
Check Moodle & your textbook for additional readings.
PRACTICE TEST & REVIEW QUESTIONS
These multiple-choice / matching practice test questions and essay review questions are designed to help you better understand different types and components of viral structure.
MORE VIRUS STRUCTURE LINKS
- Play Pandemic 2 a video game of strategy, where you try to become a successful pandemic microbe and infect the world. My teenage daughter and I recommend this one to you.
- “Quarantine” a scary movie about a new infectious disease.
- Cell Breach: Animated video clip from "Battlefield Cell" episode of Curiosity
Both from an excellent Curiosity episode showing an adenovirus invading a human cell.
You have free access to a large collection of materials used in a college-level introductory microbiology course. The Virtual Microbiology Classroom provides a wide range of free educational resources including PowerPoint Lectures, Study Guides, Review Questions and Practice Test Questions.
Page last updated: 3/2013
- Germs - song by Weird Al Yankovic
- Microbiology 101 TextVook (Fun animated textbook.)
- Biology & Microbiology app from QuizMe.com
- Microbiology Pronunciations from HippoSoft LLC