Virus Life Cycle
Practice Test Questions
Virtual Microbiology Classroom of Science Prof Online
Free review questions to help students better understand this topic.
Virus Life Cycle Sample Test Questions
1. When a virus invades a bacterium, gets that bacterial cell to make more copies of the virus that eventually burst out of and kill that same bacterial cell, this is called...
a. lysogeny b. lytic replication c. murder d. a prion
3. In the last stage of lytic replication the viruses exit the cell by...
c. cell lysis
d. waiting for the cell to divide
4. Which of the following is an acellular infectious agent?
a. bacteria b. virus c. MRSA d. fungi e. Giardia
5. How do viruses get from host to host?
b. tail fibers
d. viruses cannot move on their own
The following questions, from the Virtual Microbiology Classrooms (8-week & 16-week), are designed to help students better understand this topic. All questions are based on material that can be found on the Virus Life Cycle Lecture Main Page.
Virtual Microbiology Classroom provides a wide range of free educational resources including PowerPoint Lectures, Study Guides, Review Questions and Practice Test Questions.
Page last updated: 2/2016
For more information on viruses, go to the
6. Which is NOT a method by which animal viruses can enter a host cell?
c. membrane fusion
d. direct penetration of naked virus
7. Which is a method by which animal viruses can exit a host cell?
a. exoctosis b. lysis c. budding d. inversion e. a, b, and c
8. Viruses are capable of growth and division.
a. True b. False
9. Another name for a virus that is in the extracellular state is...
a. viroid b. prophage c. virion d. prion e. animal virus
10. What is the correct order for how a virus makes more viruses through infecting a host cell?
#1 infect #2 release #3 attach #4 replicate
a. 1, 2, 3, 4
b. 4, 3, 2, 1
c. 1, 3, 2, 4
d. 3, 1, 4, 2
e. 3, 4, 1, 2