Prokaryotic Cell Structure & Function
from Science Prof Online
Prokaryotic Cell Lecture Materials
are the Prokaryotic Cell Structure & Function Lecture materials from the free science education website Science Prof Online. The resources below have been developed for and are used in an actual
college biology courses.
Page last updated: 2/2016
- What is a cell (and what is not)?
- Understand the importance of the plasma membrane in regulating the movement of substances into and out of the cell.
- Understand osmosis and tonicity (isotonic, hypertonic, hypotonic), and be able to solve a tonicity problem (i.e. If I describe a situation of a specific type of cell sitting in a specific type of solution, be able to tell me which way water would move, into or out of the cell.)
- Understand the importance of the prokaryotic cell wall. What makes a Gram+ cell different than a Gram- cell; how the differences impact control of microorganisms.
- Know the different types of glycocalyces and the advantage that they provide to bacteria that have them.
- Understand the difference between vegetative cells and endospores. What advantage do endospores provide to bacteria?
- Know the basic shapes and arrangements of prokaryotic cells.
- Know the microbes that we met in this lecture and their relevance to the topics discussed.
- Streptococcus and bacterial slime layer
- Neisseria gonorrhoeae and bacterial fimbriae
The Prokaryotic Cell Lecture materials include:
- practice test & review questions
- photos of bacterial colonies & bacteria viewed with microscope
Image of generic prokaryotic cell. For labeled diagram of same cell, click here. For a practice assignment on diagramming a prokaryotic cell click here.
Here is what you need to read, in addition to the PowerPoint, to master this topic. Check Moodle & your textbook for additional readings.
PRACTICE TEST & REVIEW QUESTIONS
These multiple-choice / matching practice test questions and essay review questions are designed to help you better understand the material from this lecture.
PROKARYOTIC CELL IMAGES
The images linked here directly relate to this lecture material and are designed to help you review and study while outside of the laboratory.
to help you remember prokaryotes parts and pieces.
SPO HOME SCIENCE PROJECT
Does Your Automatic Dishwasher Kill All The Prokaryotes Living On Your Dirty Dishes?
MORE PROKARYOTIC CELL LINKS
FRESH FROM THE CLASSROOM!! >>>
Prokaryotic cell diagram created during microbiology midterm review.
Versions of Prokaryotic Cell PPT:
Printing: The best way to print out the PowerPoint Show is to download the PDF version. Select Print, and, when the Print screen comes up, go to Print Handling options. Under Page Scaling, select "Multiple pages per sheet", Under Pages per sheet, select "2". That uses up less paper, placing two slides on each page.
PROKARYOTIC CELL HOMEWORK ASSIGNMENTS
These assignment will help you understand osmosis, introduced in this lecture, and prokaryotic cell structure and function. Check with instructor to see if this homework is assigned.
Science Prof Online